Nestled in the beautiful Flathead Valley of northwestern Montana, Logan Health Medical Center is a pleasant surprise. Our hospital offers a level of care one might only expect of a large metropolitan area, including:
- A comprehensive cancer program, accredited by the American College of Surgeons Commission on Cancer
- A wide range of orthopedic services and fellowship trained orthopedic surgeons
- An expansive neuroscience and spine program
- A gynecological surgery program including advanced laparoscopic and robotic procedures
- A comprehensive cardiovascular program including a cardiac catheterization lab, electrophysiology and heart surgery
- A Pediatric Intensive Care Unit (PICU) and Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU)
The roots of health care in the Flathead Valley go back to 1888 when care was rendered by local physician Dr. E.F. Cunningham. The first formal hospital was opened for business in 1896, under the direction of Ella Webber, a 32-year-old nurse from Wisconsin.
When the Great Northern Railway moved to Whitefish, medical care was provided by physicians in the area, at home and in two facilities: the MacDonald Hospital and the Japanese Hospital.
In 1910 the Sisters of Mercy opened the next formal institution, called Kalispell General Hospital, which the Sisters owned and operated until 1973. Searching for additional space to provide care, Kalispell Regional Hospital moved to its present-day location on Buffalo Hill in 1976. Since this time the medical facility has continued to expand, adding additional services and personnel to provide a full line of medical care for the Flathead area. Services added include:
- Neurology (1979)
- A.L.E.R.T., the first rural rotor wing air ambulance program (1975)
- Sn Intensive Care Unit (1981)
- Radiation Oncology, the New Addition Birthing Center, the first MRI in the State of Montana and Home Health (1987)
- Dialysis and Heart Catheterization Services (1988)
- Inpatient Rehabilitation (1989)
- Pathways, a psychiatric and substance abuse treatment center (1993)
- Cardiac surgery (2001)
- Neonatology (2008)
Growth and cutting-edge ideology has long been the norm at Logan health Medical Center, with new patient care areas and diagnostic space being added as technology changes.
Today's Logan Health Medical Center is a regional referral center, offering a full spectrum of health care services. Our medical care is provided by more than 400 physicians and 3,500 employees throughout 100 departments. Steeped in a rich and rewarding history, Logan Health Medical Center believes in advancing medicine and enhancing care for all the communities and people we serve.