Renewals are coming to Medicaid and Healthy Montana Kids
During the COVID-19 public health emergency, federal law didn’t allow states to remove participants from Medicaid, so Montana Medicaid didn’t check eligibility for Medicaid. Throughout the pandemic, individuals on Medicaid and Healthy Montana Kids didn’t have to worry about providing updated information to DPHHS to keep their health care coverage. More than 300,000 Montanans are currently covered by Montana Medicaid and Healthy Montana Kids. Starting in April 2023, Montana Medicaid will begin checking eligibility for everyone enrolled in Medicaid and Healthy Montana Kids. This process of renewals is often referred to as the “Medicaid unwinding” or redetermination.
If you or someone you know enrolled in Montana Medicaid or Healthy Montana Kids, renewals are happening soon, and we want you to stay covered. Here are three steps you can take to stay covered.
1. Update your contact information.
Make sure Medicaid and Healthy Montana Kids has your current contact information. Updating your information is fast and easy. Just visit https://bit.ly/dphhsform or call 1-844-682-6837. You can also update your information by calling the Montana Public Assistance Help Line at (888) 706-1535, updating your information through the https://apply.mt.gov/portal or stopping by your local Office of Public Assistance. You can find the nearest location by visiting https://dphhs.mt.gov/hcsd/officeofpublicassistance.
2. Check your mailbox for a letter.
The Office of Public Assistance will be mailing you a letter about your coverage. This letter may also include a coverage renewal form.
3. Complete your renewal.
If the Office of Public Assistance sends you a renewal form, fill it out! Some folks will need to provide information to Montana Medicaid to stay covered.
If you have questions about these changes or need help navigating the Medicaid renewal process, help is available. Here are three ways that you can get help:
1. The Cover Montana Helpline: (844) 682-6837 Cover Montana is a free and confidential Montana program that connects Montanans to health insurance coverage. They can help enroll folks in Medicaid, Healthy Montana Kids, and the Health Insurance Marketplace. Phone, virtual, and in-person help is available. Learn more and find help at www.covermt.org.
2. The Montana Public Assistance Help Line: (888) 706-1535 The Public Assistance Help Line is run by the Montana Department of Public Health and Human Services and connects you to a caseworker who can help update your info and provide information about your case and coverage.
3. Your local Office of Public Assistance (OPA): Montana’s Offices of Public Assistance are open and able to help! Find a list of OPAs here: https://dphhs.mt.gov/hcsd/officeofpublicassistance.
No longer eligible for Medicaid or Healthy Montana Kids?
If you lose your Medicaid or HMK coverage, you may still be able to enroll in an affordable health insurance plan through the Health Insurance Marketplace. However, you only have 60 days from when you lost Medicaid coverage to get covered, so don’t delay! You don’t have to be an expert. Cover Montanan can help connect you to free, local help across Montana.