New Medicare cards are coming soon
To protect your identity and prevent fraud, Medicare is removing Social Security Numbers from Medicare cards. Medicare will mail new Medicare cards between April 2018 and April 2019. Your card will have a new Medicare Number instead of a Social Security Number.
How to prepare
- Make sure your mailing address is up to date so you receive your new card. If your address needs to be corrected, contact Social Security at ssa.gov/myaccount or 1-800‐772‐1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778).
- If someone calls you unexpectedly saying they represent Medicare and need your card number or other personal information, hang up. It may be a scam. Medicare will only call you if you’ve called and left a message or if a representative said that someone will call you back.
- Mailing will be in waves based on geographic location. In Montana, you can expect to receive your new Medicare card after June 2018.
Using your new card
- Once you get your new card, destroy your old card and start using your new card right away.
- Bring your new card with you to any medical appointments.
- Visit Medicare.gov for the latest updates.